Tuesday 5 September 2017

Micro plastic in a pinch of sand
Hi everyone
The trip is officially finished.

We arrived in Plymouth yesterday morning after an incredible weekend's sailing from London. Saturday was sunny - lazing on the deck in sunshine for the first time.  I was on watch from 4-8am on Sunday morning and the wind was picking up.  By 10am it was gusting up to 32knots, and carried on for the rest of the day.  Lot of sea sickness in the crew (even the skipper was sick) however, I felt relatively ok, so I was able to helm on other watches - at one point it was completely exhilarating, like the best roller coaster ride - until the watch leader realised it was quite rough and took over from me - my few minutes of wildness even better than the wild helming I had around Land's End.

My last watch was Monday morning from Midnight till 4am.  The sea was calm but it was very foggy, cold and damp - and I felt ill, I couldn't even helm, it made me too queasy.  A good chunder and I felt marginally better, but I'd not put my waterproof hood up properly and was very damp inside - wishing the watch over so I could go to bed.  Suddenly the someone pointed out the dolphins.  I'd never seen anything like it - closest description is the dementors in the Harry Potter movies.  It was really dark so we couldn't see the dolphins themselves, all we could see was their trails in the water lit up with phosphorescence.  It was magical. What a treat.  They hung around for about 30 minutes and then disappeared just before end of watch.  That's 3 magical experiences of dolphins I've had on this trip.

We arrived in Plymouth much earlier than expected so had loads of time to do some science in Plymouth sound.  Lots of polystyrene particles in the trawl!  We docked at about 10am and after interviews with film crews etc we spent several hours cleaning up the boat - I was on bilge duty, which I volunteered to do as I'd be with Holly and everything is fun with her.  New exercise - Bilge Yoga - she was contorted into the tiny space between the boat bottom and the pipes above cleaning, while I vacuumed up the washing water.

We were so grateful for the showers at Plymouth Marina after that.  Then a group of us headed to Plymouth Arts Centre for the showing of A Plastic Ocean.  Very beautiful film about a very sad subject.  We had a bit of a Q&A afterwards before rushing off to the restaurant where we were having our farewell meal.  Last night sleeping in my bunk!

This morning I went with another crew member to BBC radio Devon for a live interview and then to the Plymouth Aquarium to work with 'MuddyFingers' - a woman who contacted me on FB months ago saying she's like to be involved.  She and her partner travel the world to dirty beaches and make stunning art from the plastic.  BBC Devon were there too and I got interviewed for the TV show Spotlight on tonight.

Back to the Marina to write this up before I head off now for the bus.

I have lots of photos to put up but my phone is so overloaded I can't email them to myself yet!!

It's been amazing - thank you to everyone who has supported me financially - and continues to do so - bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment