Friday 1 September 2017


Looking out this evening as I write this from Hermitage communal Moorings

The view behind me

Being here on Hermitage Moorings has been wonderful - like an oasis of gently rocking calm in a cacophony of noise and activity.  It's been a hectic two days - we leave tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 7am, for the final leg of the journey to Plymouth (arriving Monday about midday).

We've had two days of moving to St Katherine's pier to dock between 9.30 and 2pm for boat tours and to take part in the Thames 21, Kids Against Plastic and #OneLess event at St Katherine's Dock.

St Katherine's Dock


I was on cook duty yesterday so I was cooking lunch in the morning - vegan Minestrone soup - and then headed to Potter's Field on the other side of the river to assist with a huge art installation by Maria Arceo, of plastic collected from the Thames in 14 litter picks in one year.

Exxpedition women with Maria Arceo

It was then a big taxi collection of whole crew to ZSL, the Zoological Society of London, for talks by Prof Richard Thompson of Plymouth University who first described Micro Plastics about 25 years ago, Dr Jenna Jembeck a leading plastic environmentalist, the incredible Meek sisters of Kids Against plastic (#Kidsvplastic), the sustainability manager of Selfridges who have done wonders in de-plasticising their brand, and Exxpedition founders Dr Lucy Gilliam, who works with persistent organic pollutants and their effects on endocrinology, and Emily Penn, who is an extraordinary adventurer.

Taxi rides back, and off to visit the art installation as it was being lit up at night.


Finally to bed, for another early start today.  I was at St Katherine's dock this morning, talking to whoever I could get to stop and listen - and my 'sort of cousin' Fiona came.

Sam and I on the stall
Fiona having a boat tour

Then it was a quick rush back to the boat to get back to Hermitage as we had a story telling workshop for the story telling event this evening at Hermitage.  I did a very hilarious skit on the day in the life aboard Sea Dragon - some one filmed it so hopefully I can post it some time.

Got back to the boat to find science lead Diana and Nicole, filtering loads of jars of water samples - the pump broke about two weeks ago and the new pump had been trying to catch up with us since.  An impossible task while the boat is moving, and needs to be completed before Plymouth.


So I'm off to bed now having had a quick shower.

I have so enjoyed my time - these last few days will be quite nostalgic.  Definitely more sailing for me.

1 comment:

  1. i wish i was well enough to drive down to Plymouth tomorrow!
    safe journey there, and happy landings.
    lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete