Friday 11 August 2017

Captain Diane (to be sung to Captain Birdsye tune)

Hello again.  I tried to write another post from Plymouth but it seemed there was a time limit on the WiFi. I'm now in Starbucks in Cardiff marina area.

So much to say already.

This is our skipper, Diane.  She's Canadian and the best skipper we could have asked for.  Always happy, encouraging, highly focused and safety conscious.  A sailor for over 30 years, a skipper for the Clipper Round World Challenge race, etc.

First mate is Holly, (bending down behind Diane) only 24 years old, and already a ocean yacht master.  Like Diane, always cheerful, always willing, sees what needs to be done, endless energy, she is a treasure, and I've nicknamed her Little Miss Sunshine which she loves.

Our third professional crew is Cat, who I've nicknamed Strong Woman.  Also in her 20's and has completed a Clipper round the world challenge, she is voluntary, gaining more experience, and also a star.  Always cheerful, attentive, willing to learn and take instructions, and is pure muscle.

We are so blessed with our pro crew, and they only met each other and Sea Dragon a few hours before they met us.

So we left Plymouth at 7pm under a beautiful sunset and a drone (from Sky Ocean who are filming our trip for one of their Ocean series).  It took 12 hours to sail to Land's End (took me 12 days to walk 12 years ago) and by then the sea was getting very choppy.

One by one we all succumbed to the dreaded sea sickness, even old timers who said they'd never been sick before.  In all 11 of us were ill, out of 14, including Diane who threw up once and then resorted to strong medication.  I stayed up on deck for about 14 hours, I couldn't face going down below.  Taking the helm was the only thing that kept the nausea at bay for me.  One time I was throwing up over the side - the done thing - when two dolphins leapt out of the water only 8 feet from me - I thought I was hallucinating but Holly saw them too.

I loved taking the helm; letting Sea Dragon take the easiest course over the big waves whilst nudging her to keep on course.  I felt like I was dancing/doing Tai Chi with her.

By the time we were in the Bristol Channel early yesterday morning all was calm and everyone was well again.  But we were well behind schedule, from the amount of unexpected tacking to get round Land's End.  Diane worked her charm on the Cardiff Barrage Lock guys and they kept the lock open for us to just squeeze in just before absolute low tide.

No rest for us though; we had a date at the local kid's science centre with Amy and Ella Meek from Kid's Against Plastic (I'll tell you about them another time as we they are following us by land, however you could google them), a conference lined up at the Welsh Assembly who then followed us to the boat for drinks and nibbles.  We were all desperate for showers - nothing at the marina - some of us went to one of the crew's flat - she lives in next door Penarth.

Busy day today in Cardiff.  I'll try and write again tonight as we leave at high tide tomorrow morning - 7am for Belfast.


1 comment:

  1. bravo lovely, glad to know you've reached Cardiff.
    hope the next leg isn't so choppy x

    ReplyDelete