Tuesday 30 May 2017

Plastic Kandinsky
Hello
I am so excited.

I have just started an on line credited course with the Open University of the Netherlands on Micro Plastic. I've only done one tiny introductory bit and already learned new stuff.
1) Microplastic is not the small bits of plastic you see littering the beach, it's the stuff that is hardly visible, less than 5mm.
2) Globally an estimated 8 million tonnes of plastic finds it's way into the oceans each year.
3) What does the biggest proportion of micro plastic consist of?...............I never would have guessed. Tyre dust. So as we drive on the roads friction causes tiny particles of tyre to be rubbed off. Rain washes into the drains, to streams, rivers and into the sea.  We think types are made of rubber, and rubber is a component, but mostly they are now made from man made chemicals derived from crude oil.

Did I tell you I now have 25% of my funding? Gofundme page is still open.  My sister has donated a pile of lovely clothes that are now on eBay. I didn't get the grant I applied for however I have written to a bunch of local plastic producing businesses, local WI's, newspaper for talks, interviews, support, funding etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment