Saturday 11 February 2017

plastic sunset

Gratitude, gratitude to all those who are donating to my fundraising page.

The above image is one of the first I took of plastic on my coastal visits and it has been a very popular image for cards; I particularly like it as a condolence card, it has a poignancy of farewell.

Ironically, over the years I have come to see the beauty in waste plastic, the bright colours, it's malleability and versatility.  However, I have used this beauty to highlight the extent of plastic littering our coastlines and, therefore, our seas.  Every piece of plastic that has ever been made still exists, unless it was burnt, in which case the toxic fumes are adding to the greenhouse effect.  Young people may not realise that when I was young, the most colourful bits on the beach were sea polished glass - there just wasn't any plastic.  Now it's rare to find a beach without a tide line of colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment